Why Attend Art of Makeup School?
The Art of Makeup School provides instruction unlike any cosmetology or esthetician school, and can prepare students for professional careers in any area of makeup artistry. Classes are taught by makeup artistry professionals and industry leaders, and AoM graduates experience unparalleled networking, opportunities, and support.
Portland has become a booming commercial, advertising, fashion, theater, and film production city, and it is why students come from all over to seek an education in the Pacific Northwest and often stay. Portland is an inspiring, diverse, colorful and unique city, and a perfect backdrop to a creative career such as makeup artistry.
The Art of Makeup is an independently owned boutique school dedicated to education in the art, business, and techniques of professional makeup artistry.
The Art of Makeup’s training and education environment provides the necessary foundation to learn makeup artistry skills from successful working makeup artists current in fashion and makeup trends, film, television, stage, special effects and HD makeup. The Art of Makeup is located in the Southwest area of Portland, OR and is licensed with the Oregon department of HECC (Higher Education Coordinating Commission).
Founded in 2012 by Los Angeles makeup artist and educator Celena Rubin, who relocated to the Pacific Northwest the year prior. As well as being a lead instructor, Celena also directs a team of instructors who specialize in different areas of makeup artistry. All instructors are successful working professionals and are highly regarded in the industry in their respective fields of specialization.
- The Art of Makeup is quickly gaining national recognition.
- Students from all over the US and world have enrolled in programs at The Art of Makeup.
- The Art of Makeup teaches students with many different goals, whether for personal gain, hobby, or professional ambitions.
- A photography studio is incorporated into the classroom to document each makeup look and images are supplied for portfolio building.
- Classes suit all skills levels and are kept small for individualized attention.
- The Art of Makeup’s education program is unique for the Pacific Northwest and will not be found in any esthetics or cosmetology school in the nation!
- Local and discounted housing accommodation referrals are available for out of town students.
- Payment plans and financial assistance are available.
- The Art of Makeup is a proud member of the Oregon Media Production Association (OMPA) as well as Washington Filmworks, and is active in legislation to protect makeup artist rights.
- The Art of Makeup is a career resource for local film production companies, filmmakers, theaters, models, actors, apparel brands, photographers and media professionals.
- The Art of Makeup networks and engages with the local production industry community and connects students to paid and non-paid jobs and work experience.
- The kits supplied for each class contain the most professional makeup and tools in the industry.
- A Certificate of Completion is provided upon successful program graduation.
- Certificate Program graduates are placed on a private job board where makeup jobs and opportunities are regularly posted to the group.
- Graduates have worked with AoM collaboration partners such as Oregon Ballet Theater, Horizon Air, NW Film Center, OMSI, Couve Couture, and many indie productions. See: Student Success Stories.
- The Art of Makeup is among the only schools in the Northwest eligible for the M.A.C. PRO Student Program and is an Urban Decay Pro Approved School.
- See our Press page for recent features and videos in local and national media outlets.
- During Covid times, sanitation and safety protocols are implemented and strictly practiced.
Celena RubinFounder & Director
Celena Rubin is a professionally trained working makeup artist from Los Angeles with over twenty years of experience in the field. Starting at the age of sixteen, she studied theater makeup at Hollywood High Performing Arts Magnet, and went on to study advanced makeup techniques during her university theater major. Celena then studied at a boutique private school with Emmy Award Winning makeup artist, David Dittmar, taking lessons from a successful working professional. Learning never stops though. Since then, she has taken many classes in FX, hairstyling, and more makeup! She has worked in theater, TV and film, print, commercials, advertising, music videos, runway and bridal. Celena has worked with some of the top celebrities and directors in Hollywood, and working for Good Morning America and 20/20, she has also worked with some of the top politicians in the country, including US Presidents and their families. Celena’s makeup work has been spotted in W, Oprah, Rolling Stone, Time, Vanity Fair and many more top publications throughout the world.
“You are the greatest teacher that I could have asked for! Finding your school was a little miracle for me, and I am so glad that I have had the good fortune of learning from you. All the students I have met who studied under you feel the same way, too. You really are an awesome teacher!”
Want to learn more?
Whether you are thinking about attending a one-time class or workshop, curious about career opportunities, or ready to apply for a certificate program spot we want to hear from you!